Sunday, May 2, 2010

Turkish commando killed in a clash with Kurdish Defence Forces

Diyarbakir- Northern Kurdistan: A the result of Turkish military operations aimed at the eradication of Kurdish Resistance Movement, a clash took place between the Turkish troops and the Kurdish Defence Forces (HPG) in the suburb of Lice in the province of Diyarbakir.

The report said that as the result of the clash a Turkish senior commando was killed and another soldier was seriously wounded.

The clash triggered last night at 10 mp while they Turkish military forces were coming back from operations, they were encountered by the Kurdish Defence Forces (HPG) in the Lice’s surrounding.

The Press and Publication Union of HPG announced in a statement that only within the last month, the Turkish Military Forces have carried out 22 operations with the aim of eradication of the Kurdish resistance movement and as the result of these offensives clashes have occurred in 13 occasions. In those clashes 22 Turkish soldiers have been killed among them senior members are included.

The Kurdistan Worker Party (PKK) declared unilateral ceasefire in March 2009 and protracted it four times and called on Turkey to negotiate for a democratic solution to the Kurdish issue. The PKK also sent two peaces groups to Turkey to push through the jammed political procedures. But the Turkish Authorities are adamant in their classical policies of the denial and the eradication of the Kurds and within that framework they have continued military operations in Kurdistan.

The Kurdistan Worker Party (PKK) was founded in 1973 as the result of the continuous and systematic oppressions and the denial of the Kurdish nation by the occupying powers of Kurdistan. The PKK took up arm in 1984 since all the possible political and diplomatic means applied for 11 years in between 1973-84 proved exhausted. The PKK however declared its first unilateral ceasefire in 1993 since it believed the arm struggle hit its targets. Since 1993 to date the PKK has declared unilateral ceasefires in 6 different occasions and called upon Ankara to solve the Kurdish problem in a peaceful democratic procedure.

Despite the facts that the PKK has declared 6 unilateral ceasefires and also it sent peace groups in two different occasions yet the PKK is considered as a 'terrorist' organization by Ankara and the US. It also continues to be on the blacklist in EU despite the court ruling, which overturned the decision to place the Kurdish freedom movement on the EU's terror list “By labelling PKK as a terrorist organisation, the EU and the US are giving the Turkey a green light to target its civilians. They give the Turkish government a free hand to do what it will, a mother of Kurdish martyr said”.

It should be noted that after 1954, apart from the Korean war, 1949-52 and the invasion of Cyprus, 1974, the Turkish Army operations have continued to be exclusively against the Kurds.

© Rojhelat,